The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, founded in 1787, is the oldest professional medical society in the United States. Throughout its 200-year history, the College has provided a place for both medical professionals and the general public to learn about medicine as both a science and an art. Designed in 1909 the 70,000SF building was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 2008 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building has several components and functions. The 7-story library holds the largest collection of rare medical books in the world. Each floor is temperature and humidity controlled for the protection and preservation of the archives, which also includes artifacts, 19th century specimens and antique medical equipment. The College is also used as event space. Private events are held in the college’s grand ballroom and veranda.
Watchdog has worked with the College of Physicians on a number of projects including a complete roof replacement, electric infrastructure upgrade for the entire building including new services, renovation of exterior Veranda while maintaining historic façade and the renovation of Thomson Hall.